Sunday, January 21, 2007

Are writing groups good for you?

Do you want to become part of a writing group but just aren't sure if it is right for you? Well, I've had that same problem in deciding about a writing group. Below are some pros and cons of a writing group and my thoughts on them. In addition, next monday I'm going to be starting in a writing group and I will make posts regarding my thoughts and reactions to this.

I suppose in theory a writing group is a good idea. You get together with like minded people and talk about writing, as well as discuss each others writing. It makes sense and I think one of the best benefits, at least for me, in a writing group is that interaction with other people who know what it is like trying to create a tale through the written word.

But what if you get stuck with group of people who are wannabe writers. You know the type- the ones who love to talk about writing but haven't actually produced a single completed projects. The ones who have about three different short stories going on at one time. If you are in a group like this I woud say run as fast as your writerly legs will carry you. I don't see anything good coming out of a group of people like this, and the atmosphere of this group could rub off on you.

There are many more pros and cons of the writing group and I will touch more on those in my next post. I have to get back to work on my currrent project. I'm editing a fantasy story now and soon I will be looking to seek representation on that.

No comments: