Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Is a writing group worth it?

I've been in a writing group for about nine months now. Sometimes I walk away from our weekly meeting and think that it was very produtice and that all of us writers got some good use out of our time, while at other times I wonder if it was worth the weekly investment of my time.

So below are a few items I've noted that I've picked up along the way- it's a sort of pro's and con's list.

  1. If you're working on a new project it sometimes gets frustrating to be looking forward to the next scene and having people tell you what they liked and disliked about the last scene. I've found this hard to grapple with as I tend to want to barrel through the first draft of my books and not look back until I get to the editing phase.
  2. I've found that having a writing group on a weekly basis is almost too much as I'm constantly worry about getting my writing just so, for the next meeting. I think I focus more on how well my prose is coming out for the purposes of the writing group, instead of just telling the story and getting it on paper.
  3. I do really enjoy getting to spend some time every week with fellow writers. At home, I'm the only one who writes and my wife and kids don't understand the angst that I sometimes go through. Being able to share my writing experiences and find out how others go about their creative process makes the weekly meetings worth it for me so far.

So those are a few of the things that I've taken away from my weekly writers meeting. I can't say it is always productive for my writing, but I can say that I almos always leave with a refreshed feeling for my craft.

Also, if you are new to writing or would like more of a program that caters strictly to writers and helps with the creative process click here. It's great software that is intuitive and helps get writing done.

No comments: