Monday, July 30, 2012

Think Again About Your Mindset When Writing


I noticed that as of late, I have sat down in front of my computer, sort of grumpily. It’s a well know, (I think) fact, that many writers hate to sit down and start doing the work of giving birth to new words and ideas. It’s not as easy as some, (Stephen King…etc…) make it look. 

I’ve been thinking about why this sort of hesitation creeps into my thoughts. I mean, I think I like to write. I do it enough that I should like writing, or else I just love to torture myself. During my thoughts, while sitting on the porch drinking ice tea, I have come to an early presumption that I’m still swishing around in my mouth to get the taste of. Here it is:

I’m thinking that we should change or mindset when coming to writing. I can give myself a million reasons not to sit down and start writing, but what if I was to get excited about my writing?

I haven’t read any posts by bloggers or author interviews where the author says, “I was so excited about this story that I couldn’t stop writing.” Usually I read something stating the opposite. But what if, just possibly, we change our thoughts to exactly this. I’ve been trying to psyche myself up for the days writing by thinking positively on what a cool and intriguing story that I have going on. I demand that I get the time, here and now, to start writing more on this project as there is nothing more that I want to do with my time than crank out this story.

Even in theory, it sounds a bit crazy.  I know. But this thought process works; at least for me. I can get caught up in the details of the story and put myself in the shoes of the characters until the characters start marching to their own drum. That’s when the fun really starts.

I also carry this over to my freelance writing. I might not be extremely excited about writing a book on weight loss, but if I can get into the right frame of mind, it becomes more of a fun writing exercise than a chore that I have to get done…even though I am getting paid to write this book, which is also a great thing to think about – getting paid to write.

So before you sit down to start your next session of writing, think about why you are writing and why you want to be here doing this. Get excited about it. Gear yourself up and remember that you are here, writing, because you love to write. Now go do it!

No comments: