Friday, December 15, 2006

Don't forget about the word count

The word count was one of my first posts on this site and it bears repeating. Don't forget your word count. Although it is a tool to keep you on track, you should not live and die by the word count. You need to understand that it is just one more metric to keep your scribbling little heart going down the right path.
I made the mistake of blindly following my word count in the first fictional book I wrote. I put down whatever I thought of next without a care to the fashion of sentences and the pick of choice words. It was a mistake that left my writing flat and stilted.
Don't make this mistake with your word count watching.
My second book, The Book Of Mengel, (which is due to be out shortly), is a fantasy story and I paid attention to my word count but didn't let it rule my writing. In the end, I came away with a book that I liked and the few readers of the second draft enjoyed it as well.
Soon I will make the book available here as well for those who would like to buy it. If you do, drop me a line in the comment section here to let me know. Always helpful to hear that people want your writing.
In addition, if you have your own comments about how you deal with your word count, let all of us know by putting it in the comments area here as well.
Best wishes

No comments: